Omaha Poker: Here's Where You Get Four Hole Cards Instead of Two
If you are a poker player, you know that Texas Holdem is the number one choice for players in poker room tournaments and money games. The game is so popular that even James Bond favored him in his preferential game of Baccarat in the new 2006 version of the 1967 film, Royal Casino. .
The lesser-known game of Omaha Poker is also offered in most major poker rooms. One version is called Pot Limit Omaha There are two main differences between Pot Limit and Unlimited Holde m:
· Players receive four cards instead of two
· Players can only increase the size of the pot
All other actions are the same. There are five community cards above dealt by the dealer between betting rounds: three flop calls one call turn and one call river.
Before playing, the dealer places a white disc called a button immediately to his left. The button represents a theoretical dealer and has an advantage for the player because he is the last to act during a hand. The button moves a player to the left after each round.
The first player to the left of the button is called small blind . The player to the left of the small blind is the big blind . Both players must put a predetermined amount of money in the pot before any card is canceled. The blinds also move one position to the left after each round. Its purpose is to incite action by securing a quantity of money in the well before the game. The amounts increase after the pre-established programmed periods. Four cards are clockwise face down for each player. The first player to the left of the big blind is under the gun and the action begins with one of three options:
or Muck (double) the four cards to stay from hand
or Call, betting the amount of the big blind
or Increase, betting double the amount of the big blind.
Players may think that having four hidden cards to play can be more beneficial than two as in Texas Hold but it is all the contrast because you can only use two of the cards along with three community cards on the board. to make your best effort This makes the game very interesting. Here are some of the reasons why:
· The size of the pot grows quickly because the four hidden cards allow more hands to draw. Players often see their hands until the end of betting rounds because the choice of two cards is not made until the final hand is played.
· Since the hands they draw are more frequent, opponents also have hands with which they are more likely to bluff.
· Double hands set with high cards such as Jack, King of Spades and Ace, Queen of Diamonds are the favorites due to the color possibilities.
· Pre-flop unfavorable hands can include three of a class and two pairs because only two of the cards can be used in the final round.
Another version of Omaha Poker is called Hi-LO Omaha which is played exactly like Pot Limit, except that the pot is divided between the winners with the highest ranked hand and the lowest ranked hand . A low ranking winning hand can not contain any pair or a higher card than an eight. In addition, a ladder with ace up to five can be used to win a high or low hand.
The next time you're in the casino poker room, you can try Omaha.