How Do I Get a Copy of My Federal Income Tax Information?

A financial situation arose when you need copies of your federal tax return and it is very important that you get the information as soon as possible.

Unfortunately, you have no idea where you or your spouse placed the "important documents" of the home. You called your tax advisor and he is just on vacation.

What are you doing?

There are a couple of options available to you. There are transcripts of tax accounts and transcripts of tax returns.

The transcript of the tax account is the best of the two, since it will include any adjustment that has been made after the presentation. The type of information included is your adjusted gross income, taxable income, your marginal status, and whether you filed a long or short form 1040.

The transcript of the tax return will show line items of any of the three types of forms for filing a federal return. These are the 1040 EZ, 1040A, and 1040A. Generally, the transcript of the tax return would be enough if you need a test to apply for a bank loan.

You can request any type of transcript by mail or by phone. The telephone number is 1-800-829-1040. If you wish to request a transcript by mail, you will need the IRS address corresponding to your specific area. If you need a photocopy of a previously filed Form 4506 for filing a tax return, which is a Request for Copy of the Tax Form.

As with most things, there is a fee of around $ 40 that you will have to pay for each tax period you request.

Of course, to avoid having to go through all this, keep your income tax documents in a safe place where you can exchange them when you need them.

Leave a comment